It’s clear employers need to make their employee’s mental health a priority. Thankfully, many companies are stepping up to do just that by offering extended EAP services, on-site gyms and yoga classes, walking groups, healthy food options in kitchens, flexible work schedules for therapy appointments and more.
In addition to benefits your employer may offer you, here are 5 tips to help you manage your own mental health at work:
- Be part of a team– Helping someone else will make you feel better about yourself for lending a hand and accomplishing a common goal
- Organize your day – Being disorganized can build stress and anxiety. Avoid these feelings by taking some time to organize and plan.
- Go for a walk – waking will clear your head and get you outside. If it’s not a nice day – try walking around your office or even driving to a mall to walk.
- Take a time out – Step away from your workspace and focus on your breathing. Even if it’s just a matter of standing up from your desk and walking around to the other side – sometimes a chance in perspective is all you need.
- Say good morning – be kind to people and say good morning to co-workers. You don’t have to be best friends with all your co-workers, but it’s nice to have some people who care about you on a personal level.