S.T.E.P. (Systematic Training for Effective Parenting) Class
Classes focus on how best to help parents and children relate to one another and demonstrate that traditional parenting tactics do not always work with children with mental illness. S.T.E.P. classes provide skills on how to effectively parent children and adolescents with mental illness and are designed to increase parental awareness of their children’s behavior.
The material covered in seven two and one-half hour sessions includes:
- Provide information about how children think, feel, and act;
- Improve parents’ skills, which will enhance their enjoyment and effectiveness as parents
- Develop self-esteem and confidence of children;
- Assist parents in establishing long-term goals of parenting; and
- Provide support for each participant as a parent and as a person.
The cost of the class is $200 (Medicaid will cover the cost for this class.) In order to make referrals, call 303-432-5243, and leave your name, phone number, and payor source (e.g. Medicaid, self-pay, etc.), plus who referred you.